Thursday, October 06, 2005

And Benzene Is Out Of The Question

Ugh. Every time somebody says "Dip a Q-Tip in Windex and rub it on the contacts in your NES" or anything similar, I feel like I'm gonna chunder. In fact, the second I see the word 'dip,' I become infuriated, because I know what's coming next. I suddenly start hating the word 'dip.' Urgghhh.

It's bad enough trying to be a purist, going out of the way to get pure isopropanol, just to ensure the life of my system while keeping it clean and in performing condition. I even shun rubbing alcohol unless I absolutely need it, and then the purity has to be in the 90th percentile. I don't wash my car with Windex because you're not supposed to wash a car with Windex. Why, therefore, would I use it on my games?

6 Comments:

Blogger XLShadow said...

From an electrical standpoint the best thing you can use for contacts is *gasp!* CONTACT CLEANER.

That is the best thing you can do/use. When that isn't an option, cotton swap (100% cotton) and 91% isopropyl alcohol but remember you are still cheating... but only 9% cheating instead of 30%.

The key is more isopropanol, less water and other stuff.

Bottom line: If you love your consoles, get a contact cleaner pen.

Don't get it on your fingers. Be sure to whipe it clean with (100%) cotton swaps or the alcohol will just evaporate and leave the dirt. Do not touch the contacts unless you want to wash them again. Do not blow on them unless with a can of air made for electronics.

Coffee filters make for good cleaners when it comes to cleaning the cartridge sockets on the actual console. (Paper towels rip and leave more bits behind.) Just use a note card to assist wedging it into the slot then pull out. Repeat as needed.

I think a tutorial with pictures is needed... you need to flex your Flickr account.

2:28 PM  
Blogger XLShadow said...

cotton swabs* (ie. Q-Tip)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Jack Of Clubs said...

Well, the advantage of the NES is that you can more or less tale apart the whole pin assembly, which makes it real easy to clean if you feel like taking apart your NES to do it, so you don't even need the notecard-jammin' method (though it works in a pinch).

Also, Radio Shack's site lists contact cleanet at $2.97 a tube, which is definitely affordable for anybody who's concerned enough with their NES games to warrant cleaning them.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Amy Muscaria said...

You know, cleaning isn't so bad, it's keeping things clean that's the problem. To avoid ever cleaing you controlers again place in air-tight box with gloves leading into it, kinda like the baby incubators at the hospital :-P

8:43 AM  
Blogger XLShadow said...

I just wash my hands before sitting down to play. It takes only two minutes and it makes a world of difference.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Jack Of Clubs said...

It only takes me ten seconds. I just douse my hands in bleach over the kitchen sink. It also gives me this tingly feeling in my hands when I play... I like to call it "force feedback."

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home